Every bride wants to look and feel her best on her big day. And while it might be tempting to choose the latest beauty trends to guide your wedding day look, it’s a good idea to stick with a more classic approach, instead. Whether you choose to let your own signature style be your guide, or just opt for simple, fresh-faced makeup, keep in mind the most trusted of all the beauty principles, one that never goes out of style. There’s never a more appropriate time than your wedding day to just KISS – Keep It Simple, Sexy!
Do Live By the Less-is-More Philosophy
Almost all makeup artists live by the easy-to-remember rule, that you should highlight only one of your great features at a time. Otherwise it’s easy to look overly made up, instead of naturally gorgeous and glowing.
• If you want to compliment your eyes, consider a simple smoky look for a formal evening wedding, or an understated cat eye for a vintage-inspired affair. Pair a dramatic eye with a neutral choice in lipstick.
• On the other hand, if you’re planning to highlight your beaming smile think classic red lips, or pretty pinks or corals. Make sure to find a tone that goes well with your skin tone, and pair it with a neutral eye look. (Your groom will really appreciate it if you choose a lipstick that’s not going to leave kiss prints all over his cute face, too!)
Don’t Overlook the Basics
Whatever feature you choose to highlight, you’ll want to keep your other makeup simple and natural-looking. It’s especially important to make sure you choose a foundation that works with your skin type and the conditions of your wedding day. You don’t want to get overly shiny on a hot summer day, for instance.
• Make sure your makeup is well set before the nuptials begin (primer helps), and keep blotting papers nearby, so you’re not tempted to over powder.
• You’ll also want to opt for waterproof mascara and eyeliner, and truly kiss-proof lipstick.
• If you’ll be doing your own hair, make sure to have plenty of bobby pins, hairspray, etc. on hand for touchups, as needed.