One of the best parts of being a wedding venue just outside of Austin, Texas, is that this area really celebrates quirky brides, and those that want to pack more personality than prim and properness into their wedding days. That’s not to say we don’t welcome traditional brides and grooms at Texas Old Town. Our venue is incredibly versatile as a backdrop for a number of weddings, including traditional, classic country styles and more colorful and artistic affairs! That said, as Austin-area residents, ourselves, here are some of our favorite wedding touches for authentically Austinian brides!
Celebrate the City with Engagement Photos That Scream Austin
- Whether Austin is your hometown, or just your bona fide home-away-from-home, celebrate this great city with some iconic architecture, or graffiti, in your engagement photos. From the I Love You sign on South Congress, to the Capitol building and the Pennybacker Bridge, it’s easy to incorporate Austin-specific landmarks into your photos, which will then look lovely displayed at your wedding reception!
- And for nature lovers, don’t be afraid to skip the city altogether and to head to the hills, instead. Wildflower and succulent-filled hills are also prominent in Hill Country, so don’t be afraid to choose a more rustic spot for engagement pictures, like our special event venue, for example!
Ways to Make Your Wedding Austin “Weird”
- Austin proper may be more city than country, these days, but that doesn’t mean cowboy boots aren’t still appropriate attire, even on your wedding day. We love when brides and grooms celebrate their rustic roots, with dress boots, jeans and Texas-sized belt buckles!
- Austin is legendary for its world-class barbecue. Celebrate that by choosing one of the many caterers in the area, to give your guests food that might be a bit messy, but more than makes up for it in deliciousness! Just make sure you bring a beautiful bridal bib to protect your dress as you chow down on pulled brisket or juicy ribs! If BBQ isn’t your thing, there are lots of other great local caterers and craft beer brewers. Incorporating local companies can help your wedding reception end on a truly native note! (Bonus points if your cake topper is distinctively Austin-inspired!)
- Austin couples certainly aren’t afraid to incorporate colorful, artistic and even weird details, into their decor and garments. Shop Austin’s great secondhand stores for colorful jewelry or accessories, or commission custom wedding rings and other jewelry from one of Austin’s many artisans.
- You could also ask a local artist to create a custom guest book alternative, like a beautiful painting guests can sign or a wood carving just asking for your initials and guests’ etches.
- For University of Texas grads no longer living in the area, consider coming back to this great city, even if it’s just for a weekend and not the wedding itself. Sixth Street knows how to throw a mean bachelorette party, after all. Plus, our special event venue makes a great place to gather your fellow alumni and host a beautiful engagement party, or bridal shower. (Consider throwing the party on a Thursday or Friday, when your guests will have plenty of time to recover. Plus these dates are easier to book than Saturdays, especially during peak wedding season! Just ask about our weekday availability and rates.)